Tuesday 8 December 2009

Thoughts on WINOL


Wrote my critical review for WINOL last night and I must say that I have thoroughly enjoyed this module. Writing the review has made me realis how much fun this module has been. As it is a "critical" review i have included both the good and bad points of the module and reached an overall conclusion, which for the most part was positive. Good points I have picked up on from working for WINOL have been that I have become more confident in my work and have overcome my reluctance to use technology to aid in my learning.

I am of the strong opinion that the higher your confidence and morale, the better the work you are going to relay. So I feel that the confidence I have shown in my handling of people is very much reflected in my writing style, as the more relaxed you are, the easier the words come. In my initial reviews I never felt I was holding anything back as I felt I spoke my mind without fear, but as time passed, writing the reviews became easier and less abrasive, and all the signs point to the confidence factor.

Further positives which can be drawn from the WINOL “experience” is that it reluctantly forced me to become acquainted with the dreaded word “technology”. This module required both pictures and video to give it any sort of credit or worth so it was imperative that I used cameras. Fiddly buttons and I have never got along, but I managed to produce a few video packages, which despite usually terrible sound quality due to me being useless at editing, turned out pretty well. They would not look out of place on a news bulletin apart from the fact I didn’t include vox pops because I tried to keep the review feel going throughout, and vox pops I felt would not have worked in my favour for a personal review.

I still hate using a Sony PD170 and the rest of those type of cameras, but I would say I am now very handy with an SLR camera and have taken a lot of very plausible photographs; one even ended up as the background for the “Life” section on the website. Using the SLR cameras has given me a greater sense of direction as to the kind of field I wish to pursue on completing my degree. I would very much like to become a freelance photo-journalist. Despite being a technophobe, the fact that this module forced me to use technology has given me a greater sense of direction, of which I didn’t have before undertaking this module.

No comments:

Post a Comment