Sunday 24 May 2009

The Gurkhas

On 21 May, Gurkhas who left the British Army with at least four years service before 1997 will be granted UK residency. This is a topic I feel particularly strongly on as my Grandfather was in the Gurkhas from the early 1950's to the 1980's, and then when he retired from service he established the Gurkha Museum in Winchester.

Before Thursday the Gurkhas who had left the British army before 1997 with at least four years service were denied the right to settle in the UK. Appreciation must go to Joanna Lumley who created "the perfect storm in a positive way". Her Father, like my Grandfather, fought with the Gurkhas so this personally I am very grateful for what she has done for these brave warriors.

I have become active in my appreciation for the Gurkhas as for our third project for Media Production I chose to create a photojournalism piece on the Gurkha's struggle. This included taking photographs in the Museum in Winchester and at my Grandfather's house, and an interview with my Grandfather, which details his opinions on the Gurkhas right to settle within the UK.

Intitially my production piece was created before the Gurkha's won the right to settle with the UK, thus making it a convincing piece of localised propaganda, however they went on to gain access to settle in the UK so now my piece merely stands as a tribute to the Gurkhas and their hard work over the last two hundred years.

No comments:

Post a Comment