Tuesday 3 November 2009

Plagiarism

Got well and truely caught with my pants down today! Whilst attempting to publish my first preview/review for WINOL today, I became a victim of the deadly plague that is plagiarism. 

In all honesty, I did not intend to make such a fatal error, (I am familiar with the seriousness of plagiarism) but today fell into the figurative trap! The preview which I was asked to write about was on the "Please Note" concert by Winchester musicians and singers, which is to take place next Tuesday evening (10th Nov) at the West Downs Centre.

I am not going to deny the fact that I had little information on the performers/ performances, thus making plagiarism very difficult to avoid, but I did not intentionally plagiarise. I was caught out in the way in which I listed the acts... exactly how they were listed on a website advertising the event. FOOL! 

Understandably, the first draft (which I considered a final copy) was not published and thankfully I have a chance to redeem myself. In my rejected copy I made the mistake of relying on an email reply to help give me more information on the event, but when that email never arrived it made it very hard to review something I knew nothing about.

Tomorrow is a new day, and it is clear that I need interviews to complete my preview. Reliance on emails is the ethos of a mad man!

NOTE TO SELF..... Must try harder

No comments:

Post a Comment