Monday 22 November 2010

Media Law and Ethics: FOI continued

After previously having a Freedom of Information Act lecture, we then had another one which consisted of a more in-depth analysis of the act, plus we put the FOI act into use as a classroom exercise.

The learning task we undertook was to make an FOI request ourselves. Firstly, we had to learn how to properly construct and implement a request. Here we discovered that precision is key for finding the information the individual requires. The more specific the enquiry, the quicker and less likely the respondent will be in postponing the request.

Below is a screenshot of the acknowledgment from an FOI request Rob and I put in. We contacted the Young People's Learning Agency to enquire how many young people who receive government financial aid go on to complete their respective studies.


The response was met quickly, and I was told that they would get back to me as soon as possible. I am fairly convinced that my request will be answered as I have made two previous requests and both were met within the time limit stated in the 2000 Act.

No comments:

Post a Comment