Sunday 7 November 2010

WINOL: Week 5

Week five began with receiving our first complaint of this semester's WINOL. The complaint was from a studio guest who felt he was misrepresented in the final edit of a political debate. It seemed that what it all boiled down to was a lack of communication between those running the discussion and those participating in it. To me, it didn't really feel like anyone in particular was to blame, as those who made the production told the guests that the final piece would be edited, however, I digress. I had to email the person who put in the complaint to offer an apology on behalf of WINOL but the individual wasn't too forthcoming in accepting the apology; after all, he felt he had been massively misrepresented so.... It took an email from Chris to diffuse the situation, however I feel that if we asked the guest back for another studio chat, that he would respectfully decline.

The whole setup had a re-jig this week as Claire became the new News Editor. This gave a fresh feel to the newsroom, and freed up Kayleigh to become Entertainment Editor. To help Claire I gave her all the contact details of the beat reporters and Sports team, which then led to me reworking the news schedule and distributing it around the newsroom to give a sense of change with Claire as the new News Editor.

Again, as with previous weeks, I mostly just undertook my various Managing Editor responsibilities to ensure the smooth running of operations i.e. continuing to complain about the state the computers are in at the moment, changing the flyers to attract more viewers (include Chesney Hawkes).

On Wednesday we had a mass push on all flyers as we had the biggest guest we have ever had on WINOL. This meant producing and distributing around 400 flyers, and giving them out further than just the campus limits. After this I went to do Vision Mixing again for the second time. This went far more smoothly than last week as the reporters had left their packages long so as not to leave any black holes. However there were still problems with timings, which meant that when I mixed the vision the packages often didn't start for a split second and that looked rather unprofessional.

Next week I will discover what I can make from my contacting the Daily Echo...

No comments:

Post a Comment