Sunday 28 November 2010

WINOL: Website Editor

At the mid point of this year's first Semester we were given the opportunity to change roles (those of us who wanted to). I decided to resign from my position as Managing Editor as I felt I had got all I could from that position and believed that it needed a fresh head to provide some new impetus. I certainly felt that my time as Managing Editor was successful but believe that it was time to give up the role and try something new.

I am currently Website Manager. This is a position which I am not entirely thrilled about acquiring as the same problems seem to be present in this position as with the position of Managing Editor; that is to say that other people can do your job, which makes you feel rather irrelevant.

My duty now is to decide how the website looks and to say what content should be included. The Website Editor position, seems to me to have been created without any real need to have one; Chris and Glenn can decide the overall look of the site, and Veronica decides the content- so I don't honestly see that there is a requirement for a Website Editor thus leaving me very disappointed with the overall WINOL experience I have encountered this semester. I have strong convictions that if it weren't for me putting unessential and unrequired work into the project, I might as well have been absent this term.

Nonetheless I wish to make good use of the couple of weeks I have left before Christmas to make the best of the newly created position of Website Editor. My new position has given a certain air of clarity to the layout of the website as Glenn and I have tidied it up and made it look a lot more presentable e.g. we made all articles appear the same lengths on the site, changed the overall typography, and made the site look more smart in appearance.

In addition to my job I also did sub-editing this week (I felt my role requires me to do so), which helps out with Glenn and Cara etc. I Discussed the use of photographs to improve the site with Veronica and also conferred with Jason as to the essentialness of having photos for the site.

As my role appears to give some free time, I offered my assistance to production. On Tuesday I helped out with the children who came in and alongside Paul, Josh, and Rob, demonstrated and let them use our gallery facilities for their own production. On top of this I filmed the band Davis who came in as part of our What's On Winchester production. Also, on Wednesday I ressumed the role of VT operator, for the bulletin, on the newly improved VT software.

On Friday we finally got to record our bulletin live at the Southern Daily Echo. This was a privilege of which I had arranged as my time as Managing Editor for WINOL, which had finally come to fruition. This was a great experience, as it gave all WINOL's executive team the chance to go down and take part in producing a bulletin the like of which we have never done, and so I am particularly pleased with myself and the team as a whole, who, in visiting the Echo, got to "show off" what we can do, and hopefully retain close links we made that day with the Echo in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment